Decision: A&M


12th Man – Student Section
Originally uploaded by SemitoughWhat started out as a post about the game, which the Aggies won 38-7, ended up something completely different thanks to The Princess. Only one week into her senior year, after visiting several campuses around the state, after much hand wringing over GPA, SAT & ACT scores…..she decided.

It’s not like it should come as a surprise that she selected A&M as her college of choice. Between her Mom, uncle and multiple cousins, A&M has been the University of choice since before she was born. She’s been to march in on Thanksgiving Day in Austin. Midnight Yell Practice at Kyle Field and on the steps of the Capitol building on many occasions. She’s been to games. She was at the memorial service the night after bonfire fell and witnessed the tens of thousands of candles stretching as far as one could see in any direction.

But still, there was an epiphany, what I like to call a BGO (Blinding Glimpse of the Obvious.) It came at the most mundane of times, standing in line at the concession stand to buy a bucket of popcorn. She looks at her mother and says simply “This is where I want to be.”

She then articulated her plan complete with alternative approaches should she not be admitted directly, and an alternative if her plan B didn’t work, and yet a third alternative should that one not pan out. She had obviously done her homework.

Mom cried. Dad worried. Little brother said “Me too!”

So this time next year The Princess will be part of that sea of maroon in the student section. Standing the whole game, humping it during yells, and sawing varsity’s horns off during the Aggie War Hymn.

Me? I’ll be in The Zone, or home watching on TV, hoping for a glimpse. Worrying. But at least for now, the decision is made and all is right with the world. And I’m so proud I almost can’t stand myself.

Gig ‘Em Princess!

Advertisements

One thought on “Decision: A&M

  1. Scot Duke September 4, 2007 / 8:24 am

    I can concur, A&M is a real good choice of colleges…if it is any consolation for your bank account, over 85% of the graduates from A&M receive well paying jobs through their wide spread alumni groups… Of course that leave the other 15% of the graduates left over at the Dixie Chicken carving people’s names in the tables for a living… Gig-em!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s